Boulder Plots to Battle Emerald Ash Borer, Preserve Canopy

Boulder is developing a strategy for managing its urban forest as it faces 2018, and as has been the case for several years, managing the ongoing infestation of emerald ash borer will continue to be a key component of its plan.

Boulder City Council members were briefed on the state of what is known as urban canopy at a meeting in late October. In coming months, the public will have a chance to weigh in at an open house with their views on the subject.

Within Boulder city limits, trees cover about 16 percent of the land. Of the areas that are under the urban canopy, only about 25 percent is on public turf — which includes property owned by the city, Boulder Valley School District, the University of Colorado and federal labs. The other 75 percent of the trees grow on private property. read more >>